Possible Seminar Topics
The following is a list of topics suggested by the faculty in no particular order.
You may find this list helpful in your search for a Computer Seminar topic.
Kinect for Windows
Message from Dr. McCown (Please see him to borrow a cKinect or 2 if you are interested).
Programming the Kinect would make an excellent seminar topic. There are plenty of resources about it and it can be used for wide range of applications including exercise, rehabilitation, and gaming. Programming is done in C#.
Please encourage your students who are looking for a topic to choose Kinect.
Steil: I like the use of multiple connects found here.
- TAKEN Code Obfuscation - how, why, detecting
- Garbage Collection
- Detecting Software Plagiarism -
Because programing code is easily found on the Web,
(unauthorized copying of someone else's code) is frequently cited
as a problem in many CS departments. There are many software systems
designed to detect software plagiarism. Discuss the general problem
and techniques used to detect plagiarism in software.
Here is a recent article on the subject:
PlagDetect: A Java Programming Plagiarism
- Microsoft Cognitive Services
- How do VPN's work (under the hood)?
To find other ideas -
Look in confrence prceedings such as:
- Look in current magazines such as:
Communications of the ACM,
Popular Science, or
- Visit web pages of major research labs such as web.mit.edu/research/, www.lanl.gov, www.research.ibm.com, or www.sandia.gov.
- Look in your textbooks for chapters that were not covered in class.
- Talk to your professors.
- Google IO
- Apple WWDC
- //build conference
- Java One
- Code Conference
- JSConf US
- Computer Science Conference Rankings